Friday 16 September 2016

Introduction and Disclaimer

While I get to grips with how this blogging thing works I thought I'd give a small introduction. I hope this to act much of a disclaimer as giving some more background to my thinking.
    I am a scientist and therefore prone to thinking like one with all the benefits and trappings this comes with. I am a stickler for evidence and this makes me highly cynical and sceptical of just about anything. As a consequence I would say I generally don't hold any particular beliefs strongly and am not easily placed on the political spectrum. However, I'll give some sweeping generalisations, because they are useful. I lie south-west on the political compass and am almost happy to describe myself as a humanist. I am also a middle class white male. There, now you can get an idea of my potential biases and prejudices!
    Curiosity about the past, the present, the future and the imaginary means I've always read a lot and this is my main inspiration. I'm happy to admit that this blog is as much for me as for anyone else. As much as I enjoy reading, I also enjoy the writing process as it's a great form of self expression which helps clarify thinking and forces a deeper understanding and synthesis of ideas. In the words of the great Isaac Asimov, 'Writing is ... simply thinking through my fingers'. I intend to research as I write, sharing any useful links, and along the way I hope and expect I'll change my own mind and see things differently. Importantly, dear reader, I hope to give you food for thought, stimulate discussion and make you question your own beliefs. I hope my more informative posts are indeed informative and understandable. I don't want to dumb things down but will always try to make things as accessible as possible, sorry if not! I hope my more opinionated blogs convey close to what I intend to get across.
    My final message, is question everything, even though it can be hard work, and that includes these posts! Being informed is being empowered so drink deep the cup of knowledge and power up.

1 comment:

  1. Looking foward to a humanist's view on life and science, closely linked topics, but neither answering the other in full...

    ReplyDelete